Department of Education and Sports
2017 – 2021
Soccer for all
UEFA EURO 2020 was held uniquely as a pan-European event in 12 cities to mark the tournament’s 60th anniversary. Three group matches and a quarterfinal were played in Munich. The UEFA EURO 2020 finals were a very demanding event in terms of security and mobility. The preparations for this extended over several years.
Within the host country, the responsible authorities had to work closely with private sector stakeholders. The authorities, ministries and departments concerned, as well as the police and emergency services, stadium management, private security service providers, the operators of public transport systems, ushers and many other stakeholders had to be able to implement and maintain a comprehensive, integrated security and mobility concept over an extended period of time.
Nevertheless, the festive character of the event should not be lost. Since the topics of safety and mobility merge seamlessly, the two concepts had to be closely coordinated.
In 2017, companeer was awarded the contract for the creation of the integrated security concept for UEFA EURO 2020. The order for the mobility concept followed the next year. Thus, both concepts could be created, coordinated and implemented in close cooperation. Weekly meetings with the Host City project group were held to discuss project progress, challenges and solutions.
In small, topic-specific working groups, conceptual content was developed in collaboration with the respective stakeholders and authorities. The coordination of the contents and presentation of the current project status took place in monthly working groups. Here, representatives of all relevant stakeholders and authorities were present.
For the approval of the concepts by the safety authorities, companeer developed a coordination process suitable for the project. On game days, companeer worked both in the Host City Operations Center as the Mobility Manager and in the arena as the Last Kilometer Coordinator.
- Overall coordination of all mobility and security issues for UEFA EURO 2020 in Munich.
- Interface coordination between all authorities and stakeholders involved (DFB, UEFA, City of Munich).
- Creation of a coordinated mobility and safety concept in which all interests of stakeholders and authorities were taken into account.
- Leading and preparing working groups and status meetings with UEFA, DFB, authorities and other stakeholders.
- Evaluation and consultation with the client on the requirements set (established by UEFA, DFB, security authorities, stakeholders).
- Preparation of safety concepts including escape and rescue route planning as well as overfill concepts.
- Preparation and implementation of tenders.
- Coordinate and conduct agency coordination and obtain permits.
- Site analyses
- Planning and implementation of a superordinate organizer organization (Host City Operation Center / HCOC) for the event period (especially important for events spread over several locations in Munich).
- Planning and implementation of an accreditation concept (site analysis, analysis and coordination of user groups, consulting in the search for service providers and design of accreditations).
- Creation and implementation of signage concepts for both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
In addition to these defined areas of activity, companeer has taken on additional tasks over the course of the project since it began operating in 2018. Especially in the area of interface management between the involved stakeholders, Companeer supported the Host City project team.
Through its firm integration into the overall organization, companeer is optimally networked with the executing associations UEFA and DFB as well as the other host cities and stadiums of UEFA EURO 2020 (2021) and is highly familiar with the associations’ working methods and requirements.
Through regular site visits to the venues and workshops at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon (CH), companeer has detailed knowledge of the challenges faced by all host cities of UEFA EURO 2020 (2021).
Contact & Imprint
Companeer GmbH Parkstr. 22 | 80339 Munich
Phone +49 (89) 21 55 10 31
© 2023 Companeer GmbH